What are the symptoms of Scombrotoxic Food Poisoning & how is it treated?

In our last post we wrote about the types of fish that are susceptible to Scombrotoxic Food Poisoning, what causes it, how to prevent it, and some of the initial symptoms. Today, we delve deeper into the topic by discussing the main symptoms, and how to diagnose, and treat the condition.

How long does it take for symptoms to show & what are the initial symptoms?

Symptoms of Scombrotoxic poisoning usually appear within 30 minutes of consumption. There are a multitude of initial symptoms such as; nausea, dizziness, sweating, headache, tachycardia, and swelling or burning sensation in the mouth or throat.

What other symptoms can occur?

The initial symptoms can become more serious potentially leading to edema, sickness, diarrhea, stomach cramps rashes on the face, or body. In worst-case scenarios vision issues, breathing difficulties, swelling of the tongue, and in rare cases, death.

How is it diagnosed and treated?

Scombroid is different from a fish allergy, and sometimes it is difficult to diagnose as the symptoms are very similar. Usually, a blood test is required to tell both apart. Treatment includes antihistamines, and intravenous fluids if the symptoms are mild. If severe then epinephrine with steroids could possibly be used. You should always seek professional medical treatment and advice if you feel any of these symptoms.

Take a look at our online Food Safety, Hygiene & Allergy courses. All course content adheres to UK regulations, has been accredited by The CPD Group, is quick to complete, is legally compliant with UK/EU regulations, and certificated are emailed instantly upon completion.

Visit essentialfoodhygiene.co.uk to find out more.